Best Vegetarian Foods High in Protein
An article solely about vegetarian foods high in protein for the people whose life rotates around plant-based food. Give your body the nutrition of these high protein vegetarian foods.
The world is divided into two types of eaters: Vegetarians and Non-Vegetarians.
Non-Vegetarians do not face much problem with their protein intake as their main source of protein comes from meat, fish, and eggs. All these foods contain a high amount of protein.
But what about the vegetarians who don’t eat meat, fish, and eggs? How will they get their much-needed protein?
People nowadays are fond of eating a high amount of protein. But not in the case of the vegetarians.
Most of the vegetarians lack out of the muscle building nutrient because they don’t have good knowledge about the vegetarian foods that contain the highest amount of protein.
If you are also a vegan, you will know what I am talking about. And if I am not wrong, you are also unaware of the vegetarian foods that contain the highest amount of protein.
This makes your protein intake very small as compared to other macronutrients like carbs and fats.
Protein is a key nutrient which helps you in building muscle and maintaining your muscle mass. Protein also keeps your hairs healthy.
Do you know how much protein you should eat regularly?
- An average male adult needs to eat 56 grams of protein per day.
- An average female adult needs to eat 46 grams of protein per day.
For a non-vegetarian male, it is easy to eat 56 grams of protein per day. And a non-vegetarian female can also eat 46 grams of protein every day.
But when it comes to a vegetarian, it becomes hard for them to eat 56 grams and 46 grams of protein per day respectively.
Because they consume less amount of protein per day, they miss out on the benefits of protein.
Benefits of Eating Protein
Protein is an important nutrient that a human body needs. Especially if you are a competitive athlete. With that, let us see what are the benefits of eating protein:
- Protein helps in building and maintaining the muscle tissues in your body.
- Your hairs and nails will be healthy if you eat protein.
- The enzymes and hormones in your body are made out of protein.
- Protein is an important building block of muscles, bones, and skins.
- Your appetite and hunger levels are controlled by protein consumption.
- Consumption of protein boosts your metabolism.
- It helps in increasing fat loss.
Your body mainly needs 3 macronutrients- Carbohydrates, Fats, and Protein.
That means along with carbohydrates and fats, you will also need the protein in a good quantity. Your body will store fats and carbohydrates in a large amount but it won’t store protein. That means you don’t have any option other than eating protein.
Vegetarian people get deprived of all these health benefits of protein just because they don’t know which food contains protein.
Here is a complete list of the best vegetarian foods that are high in protein.
Best Vegetarian Foods High in Protein
In this list, I will include the foods that are high in protein and how much protein it consists per 100 grams.
1. Greek Yogurt
Calories: 63 per 100 grams
- Fats: 2 grams per 100 grams
- Carbohydrates: 7.4 grams per 100 grams
- Protein: 5.25 grams per 100 grams
Greek Yogurt is one of the best vegetarian foods that are high in protein. Most of the people both vegetarian and non-vegetarian eat Greek Yogurt. There are certain health benefits of Greek Yogurt. Some of them are:
- Greek Yogurt is a food which can boost your metabolism.
- Your gut health will improve if you eat Greek Yogurt. This is because Greek Yogurt contains probiotics. These are the good bacteria which helps in restoring the balance in your gut.
- Greek Yogurt is one of the foods which is high in protein. So athletes who are vegetarian can consume Greek Yogurt to build muscle mass.
- Eating Greek Yogurt will help you in improving your bone health. As Greek Yogurt is rich in calcium and protein, it can prevent osteoporosis and other bone diseases.
2. Lentils (Cooked)
Calories: 165 calories in 100 grams
- Fats: 7 grams per 100 grams
- Carbohydrates: 19 grams per 100 grams
- Protein: 8 grams per 100 grams
Lentils look like small seeds, but they have serious protein quantity in them. Not only they are a good source of high vegetarian protein but are also a good source of fibers. Fibers are good for your heart. There are also some other benefits of eating Lentils too:
- Lentils can increase your energy slowly and steadily. This is because it contains fibers and complex carbs.
- When it comes to protein percentage, lentils come in the third position with 26% protein per 100 grams. So a vegetarian can easily complete a portion of his daily protein requirements by eating Lentils.
- Lentils are high in protein, fibers, carbohydrates, and vitamins but are low in fats. That helps you in losing weight efficiently.
- Eating lentils can help you to reduce blood cholesterol because it contains high fibers. Low cholesterol levels reduce the risk of heart disease.
- You can improve your digestion by eating Lentils.
3. Peanut Butter
Calories: 580 calories in 100 grams
- Fats: 50 grams per 100 grams
- Carbohydrates: 19 grams per 100 grams
- Protein: 25 grams per 100 grams
Peanut and Peanut Butter both are an excellent source of protein for vegetarians. As you can see above, it has 25 grams of protein per 100 grams of serving. Along with protein, it is also loaded with high fiber and good fats. As peanut butter also contains fats, do not overeat it. A simple serving of two tablespoons of Peanut Butter is enough to meet the muscle building requirements. Some of the benefits of eating Peanut Butter is:
- Eating Peanuts or peanut butter will help you control your hunger without leading to weight gain.
- According to many studies, peanut or peanut butter is good for your heart as it lowers the risk of cardiovascular or any other heart diseases.
- Fats in the peanut butter is the most healthy monosaturated fat.
- Various studies have shown that eating peanut or peanut butter can lower the risk of diabetes
- Peanuts and Peanut Butter are high in valuable nutrition like Protein and Potassium.
Calories: 578 calories in 100 grams
- Fats: 54 grams per 100 grams
- Carbohydrates: 20 grams per 100 grams
- Protein: 24 grams per 100 grams
The next protein source in our list is the Almonds which contains 24 grams of protein in a 100 grams serving. Almonds can also help in losing weight. A study found that if you combine a calorie restricted diet with a cup of almonds, you will see a decrease in your weight more effectively. Along with this, there are many other health benefits of eating Almonds. Let us have a look at some of the health benefits of eating Almonds:
- Along with protein, Almonds contains a good amount of Fibre, Vitamin E and other useful nutrients.
- Almonds lower your cholesterol level and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- It is a good source of Antioxidants.
- Eating Almonds will help you control your blood sugar.
- Almonds are high in calories, so eating almonds will reduce your hunger and can lower your overall calorie intake.
Calories: 187 calories in 100 grams
- Fats: 8.32 grams per 100 grams
- Carbohydrates: 15 grams per 100 grams
- Protein: 10 grams per 100 grams
Beans are a vegetarian food source that is high in protein and also other nutrients. Beans contain amino acids which combine to form the protein. Protein is an essential nutrient that is required to build muscles. Eating beans can benefit your heart and brain. As they take time to digest, it makes you feel full for a longer period of time. They have much more health benefits that are listed below:
- Beans are a good source of protein for vegetarian peoples.
- Consumption of beans can improve your heart health.
- Beans can reduce the risk of cancer. It contains isoflavones and phytosterols which helps in reducing the risk of cancer.
- It can lower your cholesterol levels.
- Beans are a great food if you want to lose weight. It has a high fiber content which will reduce your hunger.
- Beans can help in managing your diabetes.
6. Cottage Cheese
Calories: 103 calories in 100 grams
- Fats: 4.5 grams per 100 grams
- Carbohydrates: 2.6 grams per 100 grams
- Protein: 12 grams per 100 grams
Cottage Cheese is one of the vegetarian foods that are high in protein. It is not only packed with protein but also has essential nutrients in it. Along with fats, carbs, and protein, it also has phosphorus, sodium, vitamin B12, and calcium. You may not know but cottage cheese also helps in weight loss. The reason lies in its high protein and low-calorie content. Cottage Cheese is high in both protein and calcium which is related to weight loss. Because of its high protein content, it is popular among vegetarian athletes. Its high protein content helps in muscle building. With that being said, let us have a look at some of the benefits of cottage cheese:
- Cottage Cheese is rich in protein and other essential nutrients.
- It helps in strengthening the bones because of its rich calcium content.
- Cottage Cheese helps in maintaining the blood sugar levels in your body.
- It contains potassium which acts as an important component in neural activities of the muscle and brain.
- Cottage Cheese has phosphate which helps in improving digestion, excretion and other important functions in the body.
Calories: 143 calories in 100 grams
- Fats: 2.3 grams per 100 grams
- Carbohydrates: 26.3 grams per 100 grams
- Protein: 10 grams per 100 grams
Quinoa may not be the best protein source for vegetarian peoples but you can still prefer eating it. This is because of the benefit it has to offer to your body. It is one of the most popular health foods in the world. Quinoa is high in protein and it has all the nine essential amino acids. It is also rich in fiber, magnesium, vitamins, iron potassium, calcium, phosphorus. In short, it is a bundle of essential nutrients packed especially for your health. There are more benefits to eating Quinoa. Some of them are:
- Quinoa is very nutritious and it is high in fiber. Its fiber content is much higher than some grains.
- It has a high protein content with all the amino acids needed for the body.
- Quinoa is rich in important minerals like Iron and Magnesium.
- Quinoa is another food which you can eat if you want to lose weight.
- It protects heart health and improves your skin.
8. Chia Seeds
Calories: 490 calories in 100 grams
- Fats: 30 grams per 100 grams
- Carbohydrates: 43 grams per 100 grams
- Protein: 15 grams per 100 grams
With 15 grams of protein in 100 grams of serving, Chia Seeds are one of the best vegetarians foods high in protein. Chia Seeds have nutrients that are beneficial to the body and brain. Along with protein, carbs, and fats, chia seeds have calcium, magnesium and phosphorous. It is fully loaded with Anti-Oxidants. These antioxidants protect the delicate fats in the seeds. Let us have a look at some of the benefits of Chia Seeds:
- Chia Seeds are fully loaded with fibers. The carbs available in the chia seeds are mostly fibers.
- The protein quality in the chia seeds is high-quality protein. Chia seeds have all the amino acids required to form high-quality protein.
- Chia Seeds may help you in losing weight. The reason is the high content of good quality fiber and protein.
- The quantity of Omega-3 fatty acids is high in chia seeds. In fact, the Omega-3 content in Chia Seeds is greater than it is found in Salmon.
- Chia Seeds are high in many important bone nutrients. This will result in the strengthening of your bones.
Non-Vegetarians may not have protein deficiencies like the vegetarian peoples but it doesn’t mean that the vegetarians have to lack protein.
The above-mentioned vegetarian foods are not only high in protein but also high in other important nutrients required by our body.
This list is not only focused on the different types of vegetarian foods that are high in protein but also can be used as a guide for the vegans in improving their diet.